Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's that time again..

I am trying to start a revolution. I want to unite all single Aunts and Uncles who are childless on the Holidays, for me that means Christmas. Those of us who are expected to buy gifts for not only all of our nieces and nephews but for the parents too but get only 1 lousy gift from the entire family. For us to somehow come together officially and make an amendment to the rules from here on out.
In my case I have 13 people aside from my Mom and Dad that are kids and parents. From those 13 people all of whom receive individual gifts from me.. I get a total of 4. Now how does that seem fair ! I get a measly 1 present per family. And the WHOLE family gets individual gifts from good old old Aunt K...
I think I should be getting a gift from each person that I buy a gift for. It's basic really. If my niece or nephew are too young to get a job and buy me something themselves then that should be their parents problem. School doesn't let their tuition slide simply because they are only 9. Nope, their mom and dad are expected to carry them.. Why not at Christmas? Why not for my gifts?
I have a few ideas.
One-The parents (more importantly for my point OUR brothers and sisters) could buy an extra gift and say it's from us. Saving us time and money.
We did not ask them to keep multiplying. I loved all of my nieces and nephews when they were the firsts and only. The seconds were fun too but with thirds popping up made my Christmas and birthday lists WAY too long.
(A side note) -I feel exactly the same way about how many presents I should receive on my birthday but it's holiday time now so I will cover that.
Two- The parents can buy us one gift per child and level out the gift giving field a tiny bit. A gift to me from each one of my nieces and nephews nicely wrapped and waiting for me on Christmas morning right along side of my 13...
I am not sure how I will handle things this Christmas. If I bought one gift per family the kids would hate me and I would loose my title as "Worlds Coolest Aunt & Best Present Giver Ever" so I will most likely submit to the unbalanced routine of things and like every other year put myself deeper into my none childbearing sibling debt. I guess my sleeping late whenever I feel like it and my single girl sanity are the presents that can't be wrapped and my siblings intuitively know it. So alas I get less gifts on certain days. It's the price I pay for the rest of my selfishly lived life. With that said I may postpone the revolution..

No comments:

Post a Comment