Sunday, November 29, 2009

Growing ups not so fun...

Thanksgiving this year was as it should be "Turkey filled" but it was not as I prefer it simply family filled. My entire life, up until the last 10 years Thanksgiving took place in my Moms house . It was and still is a small home. When filled with all of us it could sometimes become claustrophobic . Although I would prefer rubbing elbows in passing with my brother unable to avoid one another, in my parents kitchen , with the smell of stuffing in the air and the storm door glass window fogging up from the heat of the oven, then sitting at a table in a restaurant with 20 people and calling it Thanksgiving .
There will come a time in my life when the option of squeezing into my parents house is simply not available. When the entire family will no longer sit around the living room trying to find a way to escape each others conversation. Asking ourselves quietly "How did we ever live here together".. I recall it like yesterday my brother spread out on the couch controlling the TV before he falls asleep. The kids running around upstairs getting checked on and then inevitably punished every few hours.My mom at the stove. My sister everywhere.. My family together... fogged glass door and the smell of Thanksgiving through out the house.
Sadly it seems that time has come and it has been gone now for almost 10 years. I just kept thinking it would return. I was reminded by my Dad as he drove me back to my apartment that Thanksgiving at my childhood family table was something of the past and that saddened me.
My Mom and Dad are still alive and well . My childhood home is still standing and over crowded Thanksgiving ready...
"Maybe next year", I thought as I kissed them both goodbye Thursday night. Maybe next year, I can stand in the kitchen drawing with my finger a smily face in the fog and writing 'My Family still exist" as they always have.. Squished Together.. or I will simply find my seat amongst the 20 and look forward to reminiscing with Mom and Dad in the car ride home.. for them I am Thankful.

4 comments:

  1. this makes me think back with a smile, and also makes me a little sad.....I miss having a close family. Growing up sucks sometimes. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment ledstone:)
    i miss it too.. and you !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great, that all I have to say aout that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me fill up, Kel. Great imagery - felt like I was there. Look forward to checking in on your blog as often as crazy motherhood will allow. I miss you. Love you and Happy Holidays, my friend. (Heather Zicko)

    ReplyDelete